Who Are We?
Mesa Vista Therapeutics (MVT) is a 501 (c) 3, EIN # 13-431-3387 charity. We serve traditional riders and riders with a variety of special needs including Autism, Cerebal Palsy, Developmental Delay, Spinal Cord Injury, Stroke, Down Syndrome, ADD/ADHD, Vision/hearing impaired, Muscular Dystrophy and Multiple Sclerosis. MVT is an all-inclusive program. When possible, challenged and able riders participate together.
MVT helps support its program by providing traditional lessons in the following disciplines: Hunter/Jumper, Hunt Seat, Dressage, and Western Pleasure.
What Makes Us Unique
- We welcome students as young as 2 years old
- Our investment in a draft horse cross allows us to takes students up to 250 pounds while others can only allow students up to 150 pounds
- Wheelchair students of all ages are welcome
- In addition to an outdoor riding arena, we have a large indoor riding arena (64 x 150 ft.) that allows students to ride year round in all types of weather
- We have a classroom and snack room completed and have a physical therapy/massage room and offices under construction. All rooms are adjacent to our viewing area, overlooking the indoor riding arena
What is therapeutic riding?
Therapeutic riding is based on the three-dimensional, rhythmical motion of the horse which stimulates and works the muscles of the rider. The sensory-motor input received by the rider from the horse’s gait is almost identical to the human gait, allowing the gait of the horse to stimulate muscles used for walking, which can result in the rider gaining mobility.
Benefits of therapeutic riding
- Increased range of motion and muscle tone
- Improved gross and fine motor skills, balance and posture
- Increased cognitive, speech and language skills
- Improved concentration
- Increased independence, confidence and self-esteem
Donations and Volunteering
How You Can Help!
Your tax-deductible contribution will help sponsor our students, feed and care for our program horses, facility maintenance and keep qualified instructors. Our EIN number is 13-431-3387.
Corporate donors may customize their sponsorship to meet their specific philanthropic marketing and / or employee interests.
- Mail a donation to Mesa Vista Therapeutics
- Donate via Paypal
- Adopt-a-Horse: $500 / month covers:
- Annual Vet Check
- Share Adopt-a-Horse $250
- Adopt-a-Rider: $150 / month covers weekly lessons
We have a variety of volunteer opportunities including (all levels of experience welcome):
- Event Staff
- Farm Hand
- Fund Raising
- Grounds Staff
- Horse Handlers
- Therapeutic Riding Assistance
- Spotters / Sidewalkers
We will provide a loving home to your:
- Used / New Tack
- Used / New Accessories
- Used / New Farm Equipment
Your assistance will help us serve the Powhatan, Amelia, Cumberland, Henrico, Chesterfield and Richmond Communities.